Our wedding is finally over, but now it's time to carry the practices we followed and the goals we set for our special day into our married life. We aim to buy less, use less, and make less waste, and to lead healthy, happy lives for ourselves and the planet.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eco-cheap: Ways I'm Saving Money

By not buying any wedding magazines or books
It's hard, but I've been frequenting my local library every chance I get.

By buying silver rings without jewels
Luckily I've never been interested in having a big, expensive, conflict diamond, and I'm not a fan of gold.


By not sending snail mail invitations
Less gas used by the postal service, less trees cut down, and less money and time spent by us.  We'll have this website and a Twitter account, and we'll send out emails and evites.


By having the wedding outdoors 
Tilden Park, at one of the picnic grounds.  The reservation fee shouldn't be that big of a deal, and we shouldn't have to rent any furniture.

By putting my loved ones to work
My second cousins The Brothers Landau, an acoustic guitar and cello duo, and my sister will provide the musical entertainment.  My sister will also be the photographer (and we'll set up a Flickr account for all of the guests to post their photos to).  A friend will be our officiant.  My wine maker uncle (of Westwood Wine) will pour.  My sister and I will be the wedding planners.  And my aunt and cousin will make the food.  So much money saved.

By borrowing as much as I can from friends
Plates, utensils, chairs, and more.

By serving all of our drinks in glass jars 
Kitschy and cost-effective.

By making my own wedding cake
Vegan, of course.  We'll make a small cake for the bride and groom and cupcakes for everyone else.  That way we won't need plates and forks.  I just have to figure out what I can do for the cupcake liners.  I'm hoping someone makes them from recycled material or maybe I can make them myself.

By not getting my hair, nails, and make-up did
No make-up, no nail polish.  I'll do my hair myself.

By not having flowers
Instead I'll be making flowers from recycled paper and fabric that hopefully I'll be able to find for free.

By honeymooning locally
My parents let us use their portable timeshare and we decided to
stay in San Francisco.  We'll even take public transportation from Berkeley to the City after the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment