Our wedding is finally over, but now it's time to carry the practices we followed and the goals we set for our special day into our married life. We aim to buy less, use less, and make less waste, and to lead healthy, happy lives for ourselves and the planet.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My DIY Wedding

These are the projects I'm currently working on: 

For the table decorations, I am making flowers from yarn, dress patterns, and newspaper, and paper cranes from newspaper and pages torn from old books.  All of these flowers and cranes are going to be glued to branches that have fallen from nearby trees and then arranged in glass bottles, some of which are antique and some are just reused.  I'm also making labels with quotes about marriage to go on some of the bottles.

Pom pom dandelions
 
Cranes from newspaper and pages from old books


Quotes on marriage

Flowers from dress patterns

Flowers from newspaper

I'm making lots of different party favors: bubbles and play dough for the kids, name tags for everyone, hand-embroidered handkerchiefs, and decorative (reused) jars with photos from guests' weddings.  I also hope to use yogurt cups as pots for rosemary and sage clippings for local guests to take home.

Name tags made of fabric flowers



Hand-embroidered handkerchiefs with the slogan from our wedding rings


My bouquet, the bouquets for the moms and maid of honor, and the boutonnieres will all be made of fabric flowers.  The fabric comes from old shirts of Travis' and scraps bought in second-hand stores.


I plan on using paper airplanes made from pages of old books rather than rice or bubbles at the end of the ceremony.


Lots to do.  Hopefully I'll be having several wedding decoration get-togethers where friends will help fold cranes and flowers.  We're going for 1,000 cranes as it is supposed to be good luck according to Japanese tradition.  And it's supposed to be extra good luck if loved ones help.  I don't know if I really believe in good luck, but it definitely feels wonderful to have people I care about helping me build something for my special day.  Let me know if you're interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment